Thursday 1 August 2013

It Must Be Thursday: Sleeping On The Job

“Sleep, those little slices of death: how I loathe them” I can’t say that I entirely agree with the above quote from the Godfather of Horror Edgar Rice Burroughs, I mean – who doesn’t like a nice kip? But then Burroughs was an odd man, always banging on about scary birds squawking “nevermore” and dying in circumstances that could barely have been more mysterious if Scooby Doo and the gang had been investigating them. But if there’s one thing that I DO hate about sleep it’s the way it tries to creep up on you at inappropriate times. As far as I’m concerned sleep should come a) when you have put your head on the pillow at night or b) when I call upon it to do so – IE when trying to sleep on the train in the morning. I do so envy those people who can fall instantly and on demand into a deep sleep when on the move – myself I find myself jerking endlessly awake at the merest movement of the track, with my head lolling forward or my neck twisted at an angle that should only be possible for owls or at the endless loud clanking of the doors of the train. As I have previously mentioned: public transport seems to be deliberately designed to make the action of sleep impossible. Bus windows vibrate whenever the vehicle draws to a halt, train window ledges are too narrow to perch an elbow and there was, believe it or not, talk of transmitting adverts through the windows of trains that would be amplified by the bones in your head when you leaned on it But the type of sleep that I have no time for is the one that comes in the mid afternoon when your head starts nodding as your brain decides it wants to switch off. Sometimes there is just no fighting it and the only option is to sink down into your chair and let your eyes close, but at others it is a constant battle not to be overcome. Every time this happens to me Herself always says “why don’t you just go and lie down for a while” and the answer is actually very simple. What I hate isn’t so much the fact of falling asleep during the day, although it is a classic sign that I am Getting Older – what I hate is the way I feel afterwards. Every time this happens to me I wake up feeling sick to the stomach, my head full of shadows that take at least 20 minutes to clear. A Hot Beverage (being British this has to be Tea) will sometimes help, but mostly there is nothing to do but ride the wave and try to come out the other side with your shower cap still firmly in place (so to speak) It makes me dread the day when I am truly old and have nothing to do but sit in a chair and snooze in between being patronised by people - although given this possible future I might have no choice but to become a Rambler or, even worse, a Morris Dancer in my dotage (old age is the right time for growing scraggly beards and dancing around a maypole bashing sticks together and waving handkerchiefs in the air) So if anyone has a good tip to avoid falling asleep during the day, or even for waking up without feeling like one has been dragged through a cess pit – please do let me know PS - my apologies for the formatting of this post: i seem to be having account problems

5 comments:

The Bug said...

I hate falling asleep during the day too because then I can't sleep at night when you're supposed to. And I get the sick feeling too - ugh.

My answer is to just not go to sleep. But it is often VERY hard to do. Last week when I wasn't drinking any caffeine I did actually put my head on my desk & doze off for a few minutes.

stephen Hayes said...

I'm fortunate that I don't have problems falling asleep. I love to lay there and listen to my wife's breathing while my mind wanders. This is my most productive thinking time.

Helena said...

I could never sleep on public transport of any sort, or familiar cars, and don't sleep well in strange beds either. I'm a committed insomniac and can go 3-4 days straight with no sleep.....!I'm a proper snooze weirdo......

Lydia said...

I do not know what changed for me, but where I used to have that same miserable feeling following a nap, these days I wake up refreshed. Problem is, however, that this refreshment is coming to me too frequently while viewing television. I miss out on sections of programs that I am interested in, and I hate it! I will not be able to give you good advice, other than the suggestion to take a bike ride...and that is not something your would support during the workday! They probably wouldn't even care that you wrote a great post on a related subject, which this most definitely is!

Lydia said...

(I agree with you about K. Costner and the Field of Dreams! Hope your weekend is going great.)