Tuesday 2 August 2011

Say It Loud

You know I dont even care

It's a cheesy video, there's that bit at the end with the choir, it's camper than Butlins, Pontins and Maplins put together - but if you don't get a tingle down your spine listening to Paul Carrack on this song - there's something deeply wrong with you.  But seriously guys, can't you just here the echo of Phil Collins shouting "why didn't you write this one for Genesis?"!

Say it loud...



Every generation, blames the one before
And all of their frustrations, come beating on your door
I know that I'm a prisoner. To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage to all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

No crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thoughts
Stilted conversations, I'm afraid that's all we've got
You say you just don't see it, he says its perfect sense
You just can't get agreement, in this present tense
We all talk a different language, talking in defence

Say it loud (say it loud)
Say it clear (oh say it clear)
You can listen as well as you hear (as well as you hear)
It?s too late (its too late)
When we die (ooh when we die)
To admit we don?t see eye to eye (we don?t see eye to eye)

So we open up a quarrel
Between the present and the past
We only sacrifice the future
And it's the bitterness that lasts
So don't yield to the fortunes
Sometimes see is fate
It may have a new perspective on a different date
And if you don't give up and don't give in you may just be ok

I wasn't there that morning
When my father passed away
I didn't get to tell him all the things I had to say
I think I caught his spirit later that same year
I'm sure I heard his echo in my baby's newborn tears
I just, wish I could have told him in the living years

7 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I like the choir. Who is the song written for, if not for boys their age?

Argent said...

I've always loved this song, cheesy or not.

The Bug said...

LOVE Mike & the Mechanics - I had a bit of a crush back in the day. This is indeed a great song - I remember the video. And it sure does speak truth.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

GB - i'm never sure about childrens choirs on songs - only really acceptable on Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall - hopefully the wall behind which St Winnifred's School Choir were sealed

Argent - cheese can be good too

Bug - yeah, you gotta love it

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

I can't view it for some reason. That's a great song though. I remember one of the first mix tapes I ever made as a kid had that song on it.
+followed

Lydia said...

I reallyreallyreally love this song, a favorite.

Am worried about you with all the unrest I see on the news coming from the UK. Are you ok?

A blogging friend shared a link to this post from someone there.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Elliot - yeah, you can't not like that song

Lydia - fine thanks :)