Tuesday 25 May 2010

Running Late For The Bus

OK - my apologies for another grim poem this week and for running late. I had a bit of trouble getting the idea together and I'm not really sure if it works as a poem, but here goes:

Poetry bus driver this week was Terresa who set the below picture as a starting point



NB: i seem to be having problems with line spacing at present - the lines just wont stay seperate, so if it looks odd please accept my apologies


The Death Of Tinkerbell

They cheered as she burned
They thought it was
part of the show
They'd always said that she glowed

They cheered as the smoke
caught in the eyes
of the still screaming Pan
"a spectacular end", said the telegraph man

Caught up in the moment
in the roar of the crowd
held up for approval,
the cheering so loud

Clap if you believe
Clap loud, clap hard

we do believe in fairies
we do believe in fairies
we do believe in fairies
we do

10 comments:

The Bug said...

I think it's great! Although maybe not for Tinker... But definitely a creative take on the prompt in my opinion...

Argent said...

Burning fairies? What's not to like? Seriously, this was one of your bestest ever.

* said...

This is fabulously creepy. Reminds me of a scene in The Handmaid's Tale (the crowd cheering for a dismal, suicidal sight). A fine poem, well suited to the photo prompt.

PS: Not too late for the bus, heck no! I added your link to the post. Glad you made it! ;)

Peter Goulding said...

Apologies not required for this masterpiece.
What a great slant you've put on this one - the fairy dying in front of the cheering audience. Love it!

Titus said...

Glad you made it too! Loved it, especially the incantation ending.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

thanks guys - i just remembered that, according to Peter Pan, if you believed in fairies they glowed brighter: so what happens if you believe too hard?

I will be round to read all your poems when i get a chance

Batteson.Ind said...

I never liked tinker bell.. smug little fecker she is. Loved this poem though, love the freakshow element init :-D

roxy said...

Is it crazy for me to think this is reminiscent of the Beatles - that's what I felt like I was reading ... which is a good thing!

The Clandestine Samurai said...

I'm not really sure of the complete idea behind it either, but it is eerie, dark and gruesome.......

I like all three of these things.

Lydia said...

It is a marvelous poem and so striking with the photo. When I was a kid we went to Disneyland and there was a ride that took us through the dark. We were made to feel that we were flying over little towns at night and from out the darkness Tinkerbell would zip by us. It was so magic to me. Now, as life gets harder and harder, the news bleaker and bleaker, your poem seems a fitting farewell to the little fairy.

I really loved this poem.